We are living in a world whereby rates of Obesity (including children) and Type II Diabetes have increased dramatically, and are still increasing, causing more cases of health issues including heart disease, strokes, high blood pressure, fatty liver disease etc.
Lifestyle affecting illnesses & deficiencies have also risen, such as:
- Chronic Fatigue
- Skin Conditions i.e. eczema, psoriasis etc.
- Vitamin D deficiency – causing cases of Rickets etc.
- Vitamin C deficiency – there have been recent cases of illness likened to Scurvy
Our eating looks more like this
From the 1960s & 1970s we started messing with our food more
- Adding preservatives, chemicals to enhance flavour, artificial sweeteners, low fat, fat free, trans fats etc.
- Food processing methods changed – faster, cheaper etc
- Fast food grew – McDonalds, KFC, Pizza and then bringing it more into our homes with microwave ready meals etc.
- And so much more……..
These changes had a knock on effect
- Processed & convenience food consumption rose
- Refined sugar & salt intake increased
- Chemicals in our foods increased
- Good fats replaced with more sugar & salt and artificial sweeteners
- Our taste buds then demanded sugar in more obsolete foods i.e. smoked salmon, bread, processed meat products etc.
Quality of our food intake over the last 40 years has deteriorated
- Nutritional content & value has been overlooked
The focus should be more on:-
- Eating in a healthy, natural way which is nutritionally good for you
- Enable your body to detoxify and naturally increase your metabolism
- Food that is kinder to your digestive system
- Healthy snacks that give you natural energy
- Vitamin & Mineral rich foods
By removing toxicity from processed foods, gluten and refined sugars, and minimising animal products your digestive system will work a lot more efficiently, and therefore help you manage your weight effectively
Eating cleanly is a healthy approach
Eating cleanly is a healthy approach that will put your body in balance nutritionally and naturally, and will go towards a healthier you, and help to avoid the onset of all of the 21st century health issues we looked at earlier.
Eat less of:-
- Refined sugar
- Processed foods including processed meats
- Additives & chemical preservatives including artificial sweeteners
- Sugary or diet drinks
- Bad fats including chemically changed fats i.e. margarine, low fat spreads
Eat more of:-
- Wholegrains such as brown rice, rice noodles, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, brown rice pasta, oats
- Beans, lentils, nuts & seeds
- Vegetables & Fruit
- Lean organic meat, i.e. organic free range chicken, lean grass fed beef, organic turkey
- Organic unfarmed fish especially salmon for good Omega fats
- Organic free range eggs
- Healthy fats such as avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, chia seeds etc.
- Swap more meals to plant based sources of protein i.e. chickpeas, lentils, beans etc.
Don’t focus on calories, measure your food in nutritious value and pure foods. Your body can break down food in its natural state a lot more easily, which also then affects your energy levels too.